I caught a fly alive!

The White-browed Fan Tail Fly Catcher..


I've been watching this restless little bird hopping from one branch to the next on the tree right outside my window, since the month of July.
This White-browed Fantail, Rhipidura aureola, is only about 18 cms. long and builds a rather tiny cup like nest. The name itself tells us that its an insectivorous and I've spotted it myself pecking at cobwebs. :D
Its my aunt;s observation that this tiny little bird, surprisingly, can scare away crows very easily by attacking them with its tiny sharp beak, fearlessly.  I believe it must be the male protecting its fledglings or probably the eggs in its nest.

Another beautiful characteristic is that this bird has peculiar way of fanning its tail out and doing a little semicircular jig on the branches. This is the most liveliest bird Ive spotted this season!
Nanka is an avid bird watcher and nature lover too. She calls this tiny passerine bird the tweety bird for its musical, high pitched trill.

Comments

Amity said…
Hi Vhibs!

We call this bird in our country as 'Maya'!

True to your description, I love to listen to its chirping esp when it perches on window sills!
Nanka said…
I have been observing these birds for a long time and I have now noticed that they are no longer scared of humans. They even come and sit on our balcony grills when we are standing there. These brave little birds seem extremely friendly except to the crows. I had even dedicated a poem to these little 'Brown Birds'. Thank you Vibzz for the beautiful write-up and information on my favorite balcony buddies. :)
Rumya said…
As long as they drive away those pesky crows, they remain my favorite birdys!! :D
RGB said…
Interesting...and nice pictures you've managed to capture!
do u have a pic of its nest? would love to see that!!
T F Carthick said…
Very nice. How do you manage to capture birds so easily? I have never been able to. In fact I carry only a binoculor when bird watching. And I don't end up seeing so many different species.
do u have a pic of its nest? would love to see that!!

Popular posts from this blog

Tell Me A Story- Book Review

Escape

Yakshini: Book Review